Carbon Black CB Defense Review

An excellent next-generation antivirus solution with strong AI capabilities

What is our primary use case?

Carbon Black uses AI to flag and quarantine any suspicious activity. It blacklists the item until you decide to remove it.

How has it helped my organization?

In terms of ransomware, that may try to rename or change a file, Carbon Black completely prevents these events from happening. A file name can only be changed by the user itself. The solution sets an alarm to stop it from happening, and no other traditional antiviruses can do this.

Also, in terms of email, Carbon Black can determine if a file, such as a winword file, should not be allowed to communicate with a website.

What is most valuable?

The deep analysis is the most valuable part of the solution.

The number of false-positives is very, very low compared to other products using AI.

What needs improvement?

The implementation of the solution should be improved. It takes too much time. However, once it's set up you really feel that there is a difference. The implementation itself is a little bit complicated in comparison to others, so if they could simplify it and make it a faster process, it would be beneficial.

I've been using the solution for more than a year.

The solution is very stable. I would rate it a ten out of ten.

The solution's scalability is good. CB is doing a great job providing private and public clouds and they have their implementors now. They are investing a lot since most of the users go with cloud deployment these days. Its scalability is a good feature. We started with 300 users and are moving to 1,000. We plan to increase usage.

We don't need technical support for much because we are already signed up with a local partner for tier one support.

One weakness of CB is its technical support. It's not clear what they can do for you. This is the only negative issue I have with CB.

We previously used Kaspersky but we switched because when it comes to ransomware or suspicious activity all the traditional anti-viruses they cannot handle next-generation anti-viruses like CB does.

The implementation is complex. Deployment takes about one week. For maintence, you need one to two people or about five to ten people per 1,000 users.

We implemented the solution with the assistance of our CB partners.

The solution is a little bit costly. Compared to other traditional anti-viruses it's three times the cost, but if you have one incident it's is enough to see the ROI of the solution. The best price we could find was something around 25 dollars per user per year.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the public cloud deployment model of the solution. The provider is CB themselves.

I would rate this solution 8.5 out of ten.