Casepoint Review

Overpriced for storing documents, it is not user-friendly, and the support is paid hourly

What is our primary use case?

We are a law office that does litigation. We have 12 attorneys.

We use this solution to manage large document files with large documents for production.

What needs improvement?

I hate everything about it this product. It is not user-friendly.

There is maybe one person in our office who has any proficiency with it.

I don't like it at all.

For litigation, what I wanted was a one-stop shop. Once the document is produced as an exhibit for example, then I want to be able to annotate on that document and use that during my trial versus using Casepoint for the production. However, I now have to somehow download that production into several PDFs. I can't use the sort feature or other features.

I would prefer to leave it on Casepoint because now I have tagged it for witnesses, which is helpful in litigation, but the notes features on Casepoint is a tiny box in the bottom right of the document and that is not really helpful to me because of the way that I use documents in the trial is, for example, if you are going to be my witness, I draft a direct examination of you.

When I get to the point in my direct examination where I want to cover an exhibit that I'm trying to admit with you, I hyperlink that. The document that I have hyperlinked has my questions and notes on the document, that I'm going to ask you about, but I can't do that in Casepoint.

I have been using Casepoint for approximately five years.

We are using the cloud version.

It's been stable. I am not aware of any issues.

Casepoint is scalable. I don't have any issues with the scalability of this solution.

It manages what we need as far as size.

We have 12 attorneys but no one is using it at the moment because no one likes it.

We pay an hourly fee for people to help us with the production side, which we have used often.

We have not contacted technical support because we have not had any technical issues where we couldn't sign in, or it was frozen, or if we couldn't download it. I have never had what we would call technical issues.

I am sure that technical support would have been fine, but we didn't have to use it. We didn't experience any bugginess with the program and as far as its availability to us, I wouldn't say it had any issues.

What we used a lot was the very expensive service help that they offer for things that I feel if the software were user-friendly, we would have been able to do in-house using the software.

We have to call them to do this, which feels like something that with either training or with a user-friendly platform, would be something that we should have been able to do here.

Previously, we used another solution, but it couldn't manage what we needed. We have 50,000 documents in production that we are trying to manage and tag.

It was meant for a smaller scale. It does what it is supposed to do, but it isn't built to manage the kind of work that we were putting through.

It was not the fault of the solution but that we did not vet it properly to see if the system was suitable for the size we needed.

I can't speak to the setup because I was not a part of it. We had an office manager that secured the subscription.

As an attorney, it was decided upon and it was downloaded for me. I didn't have any part in that.

I don't know of any issues with the setup, that might've been easy.

It's ridiculously overpriced and the bills are ridiculous. I feel like they're holding this stuff hostage. We have thousands and thousands of dollars in bills every month from Casepoint, so that just adds salt to the wound.

We don't like the program, but they're charging us ridiculous amounts of money to store our data out there that we're not even utilizing. We make it inactive, but then there's a fee for removing the file. So, it's two pieces; it's dissatisfaction with the program and then you're paying a lot of money for it.

We are evaluating Logikcull now, but we may find that it may just be the industry standard.

What other advice do I have?

I would not recommend this solution, but I don't have a lot of experience. My comments are in the context of how I thought about this one thing, but I can't say comparatively, because I haven't switched to another solution and been able to say that all of the issues that I had with Casepoint have been resolved.

I just didn't find anything about the platform to be user-friendly, although I am far from a technical guru. I'm from the era of starting the practice of law with flip phones, at best. It's fair to say that I probably don't adapt to that the way that a younger lawyer just coming out of law school might.

We don't have context. We are willing to accept that some of what we don't like about it may just not be available somewhere else in the software, but you have to be a Casepoint Guru to maximize the efficiency and use of it. Nobody here can crack that code.

I would rate Casepoint a three out of ten.

More Casepoint reviews from users
...who compared it with Logikcull
Find out what your peers are saying about Casepoint, kCura, Logikcull and others in eDiscovery. Updated: August 2021.
535,919 professionals have used our research since 2012.