CaseWare IDEA SymSure Monitor Review

Multiple people can work simultaneously on one file, however if too many people do this at one time, performance degrades

What is most valuable?

Our accountants use it from the standpoint of doing their audits. In their audits and filling out certain documentations that they need, it helps them in doing their audits and makes them much faster in that process.

Each auditor has their own section that they work on. From there, they are able to compile their parts and add it to the overall casework file to allow for it to be reviewed by the Principals.

How has it helped my organization?

You are able to work simultaneously on one file, as an individual. Each auditor came here to do their part with respect to their particular audit. They then put the information into the one file, which allows them to work independently. From there, the file will be put together and completed, then it makes it easy to review for the Principal, who will then go through the information.

What needs improvement?

We are going through a process now in which even though it is a benefit in which you can have multiple people accessing this file, if you have too many people accessing it, the performance of the file goes down tremendously, and it ends up freezing up. That has been an issue that we have been experiencing.

Six years.

What is happening is that because there is more data that is being compiled into the file, that is the reason for why the performance is coming down. They say that they have another solution, which is what we are looking into, that may alleviate that. Basically, what this means is each individual will have a child copy of the master file locally on their machine. From there, whatever changes they make will get uploaded to the parent file, which supposedly will help with the performance. So, that is part of our testing that we are going to do.

Yes, there are scalability issues. When you have quite a number of people hitting the same file, performance goes down, and the bandwidth gets limited.

Yes, we have called Help Desk. In regards to the stability/scalability case they have said they have another solution that should be able to resolve this, and that is what we are investigating now.

Not since I have been with the company. Since I have been here, this is all I have been using.

I was not there for the initial install, but we have had different revisions that have come down the pipeline, and there have been no issues as far as the installation. The only thing we would really check is, as far as the new version, is to just make sure that the older file, when it is converted, that there are no errors. We have never had any problem with this though.

When I came to work at the company, they were already using the product.

What other advice do I have?

The software itself is good. We do not really have any problems, just for the one point where if you have multiple users hitting this file at the same time, where it degrades on performance, but once we try to see if the fix that they are saying can resolve the issue works, then it is a good product. It does exactly what we need to do and more.