Cassandra Review

Growing tool that can be scaled to infinite levels

What is our primary use case?

I was working for a client where there was a huge amount of data, where all the networks were intercepted. We used to do analytics on top of it. We did entity profiling. We take data and we use it to build profiles for users. Then we profile how many emails the user is sending. We see his complete profile and his behavioral traits, like what websites he's visiting and his e-commerce activity.

How has it helped my organization?

My client was looking into customer profiles and then doing analytics. I captured the data part and designed the schema. They would do an analysis from that data and would find out potential customers who would buy their product. They would find these things out and then project their marketing and sales to those customers.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the counter features and the NoSQL schema.

It also has good scalability. You can scale Cassandra to any infinite level.

What needs improvement?

For my use case, it was more than sufficient. I used most of the features, whatever was available. I'm not sure what else can be improved.

We had very new data of almost 10 million people and it was very fast. We also found the scalability and performance side to be very good. It is stable and available.

During the time it was not stabilized, there were maintenance requirements, but once it was stabilized, we did not have maintenance. Three people are required for maintenance.

We use it very extensively. Almost a hundred people are using it.

We don't have any complaints about technical support.

I have worked on GraphQL, MongoDB, and ActiveDays.

You cannot compare a MongoDB with Cassandra. They are very different because MongoDB is more document-oriented and Cassandra is a columnar database. You can compare it to Couchbase but comparing Couchbase to Cassandra is easy because Couchbase requires a lot of infrastructure to deploy and install it.

We worked on complex scenarios, so the setup was complex. The Cassandra deployments were fine. The cluster and the profiling of the cluster did not take much time. We had some processes in place. It takes around half an hour to an hour. Fine-tuning was a bit of a challenge.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good tool and it's a growing tool. The support is good. I would definitely recommend it.

I would rate Cassandra a nine out of ten. Nothing is perfect but I believe that continuous improvements are coming.

More Cassandra reviews from users
...who compared it with MongoDB
Find out what your peers are saying about Apache, Cloudera, InfluxDB and others in NoSQL Databases. Updated: December 2020.
456,812 professionals have used our research since 2012.