Cassandra Review

Some of the valuable features include automated replication, linear scalability, and automated region fail-over

What is most valuable?

I really appreciate the high availability, automated replication, linear scalability, and automated region fail-over.

How has it helped my organization?

We've used Apache Cassandra for solutions that we sell to our customers. It's used as our cloud based backend store as a temporary cache and for storing data that streams through our data pipe. It's an excellent high speed store.

What needs improvement?

Out-of-the-box monitoring, troubleshooting, and maintenance are involved. There are several utilities/interfaces available for use, but one would have to educate himself and learn the intricacies of managing a Cassandra cluster.

For example, we recently hired a consulting firm to make recommendations on how to approach maintenance and the health of the cluster and we're learning from that experience.

I have used this product for approximately two years.

We have had stability issues including out of memory issues and crashes with earlier versions of the product.

We’ve not really had scalability issues, but scalability is solved by advanced tuning or adding nodes.

We use the open source version, so support is pretty much on our group of developers and public forums/user groups. For example, I'm a member of the Cassandra user list mail group.

This is a new cloud based enterprise product, so there weren't previous solutions.

The setup is not terribly complex, but a learning process was involved.

We use the open source version, so it's free. Costing needs to take into account home grown maintenance and support, as that can get involved.

We looked at Hadoop, Spark, Spark Streaming, and MongoDB.

What other advice do I have?

If you plan to use the open source version, make sure you hire a Cassandra expert or train yourself in the internals of Cassandra.