CentOS Review

System Has The Typical Configuration To Streamline Our Bidding, Development And Implementation

What is most valuable?

• The size: in only 2U you have four dual processor servers.
  • The server manufacturer has a compatibility list regarding RAM, hard drives, LAN and RAID cards, operating systems, etc. Asus has its own RAID, LAN card, but supports other manufacturers.
  • The OS support list is very complete.

How has it helped my organization?

When a university or datacenter asked us about a certain amount of servers, we would study several models. As this four server system has the typical configuration (two LAN cards, remote management, two power supplies) the bidding, development and implementation process has been greatly simplified.

What needs improvement?

NVMe support. The manufacturer is developing a new line for that model which includes support for that type of hard drive.

The last 12 months.

Yes. The system has 10GB SFP+ Asus cards but some of them, under CentOs 7, only work at 1GB speed. Asus discovered it is a firmware problem and sent us a new version for those cards. Now the system works at 10GB without problems.

No. The servers have enough card slots and memory slots, so when it is necessary to add more RAM or new cards, there is no problem.

As I have just said, we had problems with the SFP+ cards but they were solved very fast. Asus technical support is very efficient.

Yes, BladeSystem. We changed the solution because the initial expenditure for BladeSystem is very high.

It was very straightforward because the servers come with all the necessary components: CPU dissipators, kit rail, two power supplies, etc.

I always advise using free software (like CentOs) because it has all the necessary tools for the universities and CPD. The Asus platform has remote management activated, without any licensing. With other server manufacturers, I would suggest it is necessary to ask for remote management licensing.

We evaluated 1U servers, but using the four-server system we save money.

What other advice do I have?

The Asus platform is tested with CentOs 7. But if it is necessary to add new hardware, it is very important to verify that it is compatible with CentOs.

v.7
More CentOS reviews from users
Learn what your peers think about CentOS. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
535,919 professionals have used our research since 2012.