Chatter Review

Helps us create groups to work on a specific project. We can create a case corresponding to a user request.

What is most valuable?

• Chatter Groups: Helps us create groups for our teams to work on a specific project. Sales teams in our organization get together to get the deal closed faster.
  • Publisher Actions/Actions: Using this functionality, we have defined a custom page to create a case corresponding to a user request. We also use Chatter actions to create new opportunities while having a discussion with a customer in a group.

How has it helped my organization?

• Questions and Answers: Helps us to maintain a knowledge base for our sales team.
  • Topics: Helps us to align records to a particular theme to which they belong.
  • Ideas: The sales team can post their ideas and help other departments to get it delivered if they pass thru a certain threshold.
  • Follow: Follow people who have influence in your organization.
  • File Sharing: Share files with multiple people/groups

What needs improvement?

Chatter invites should be possible from the UI on opportunity records. You can then invite important stakeholders to keep an eye on a deal. Currently, this is only available by the API.

I have been using Chatter for four years.

There have been no stability issues.

There have been no scalability issues.

Technical support gets a rating of 4/5.

We bought Chatter with Salesforce CRM. Before this, the sales team was using Excel, so the communication channel was Jabber.

The setup was easy. You need a certified Salesforce developer/administrator to make it go live smoothly.

Make sure you bargain before you purchase the license. Salesforce always has the best deals based on your organization's size.

We evaluated Jabber.

What other advice do I have?

Do note that this is a collaboration tool, not a chat tool. Go through all the features. It offers more than what you are looking for. For example, file sharing and "mentions".