Chatter Review

We use the Follow a Record feature to track changes that a record goes through in a sales cycle. I'd like them to add an upload video files feature along with its thumbnail icon.

What is most valuable?

I am a Salesforce consultant, therefore I don’t use Salesforce as an end user. However, I generally use it to share / chat project-related information with fellow developers. Personally, I feel that the feature to Follow a Record is most useful in Sales Cloud, in order to track changes that a record goes through in a sales cycle.

How has it helped my organization?

As I am a Salesforce consultant and work in a service-based organization, we implement / customize Salesforce for our clients.

What needs improvement?

One of the features that can be added is to upload video files and to display the thumbnail icon of the video file. If a user wants to share any training video, or wants to share details regarding an issue that happened after performing a set of operations, then the user can record screen activities in a video and share the video file with other users.

Sometimes it is easier to get an idea about a video (uploaded/shared via Chatter) just by looking at a thumbnail image of the video. This allows the user to get an idea about the content and user may choose to skip it, if he/she wants to.

It is very well received by Salesforce Community. In fact, Salesforce is planning to use it internally for their employees.

There were no stability issues.

There were no scalability issues.

I would rate the technical support a 7/10 because Salesforce has its own way of looking at technical issues and sometimes takes its own time to implement / release changes as per their convenience.

For example, if there is a standard feature, and it makes more sense logically to add one more functionality with it but Salesforce doesn’t provide it; then in such cases, one can start a discussion / new idea forum. After which Salesforce looks at it and checks if it makes sense to add that feature or not. For such issues, sometimes users have to wait a lot or alternatively, have to go for some AppExchange product in order to satisfy their needs.

The pricing depends on the licensing and licensing depends on what the Salesforce.org client wants, i.e., based on the business requirement and the number of users. The kind of Salesforce.org a client should go for, clearly depends on the businesses processes that the client wants to automate either currently or in the near / distant future.

Salesforce being the number one cloud-based CRM product, I think one can recommend it in the first go.

What other advice do I have?

Try to use as much out-of-the-box features as possible, because for achieving the best performance one should go for 80% of configuration and 20% of customization.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My organization is an implementation partner with Salesforce.