Check Point Anti-Spam and Email Security Software Blade Review

Would benefit from aggregate logging capabilities, and it does not scale to large email volume

What is our primary use case?

Like any company, we needed an antispam product so we implemented this solution.

Buying this blade was convenient from an economic point of view and we took advantage of it to have a product that is both well-integrated and easy to manage.

How has it helped my organization?

At first, it seemed like a good solution but it wasn't; we have the mail server on site.

After six months, the mail was in fits and starts and the Check Point infrastructure was not responding properly. We realized that we were under a strong spam attack and had to install another antispam product. We were lucky enough to be supported by the Check Point team of specialists, who helped us to identify and solve the problem.

In fact, analyzing the logs was not something that was evident at first sight.

What is most valuable?

This product integrates well and is easy to manage.

It is certainly very beneficial for a small business and works best in combination with other Check Point blades, such as the Data Protection Blade that protects against data loss via email.

It is useful for having alerts on the e-mail traffic trend.

What needs improvement?

Determining areas for improvement is not a question that can be answered simply. I think we should separate the antispam engine into two parts; the first that breaks down mass spam, and the second for refinement.

It would be good to dedicate a separate core at least for the first phase so that it does not take away resources from the system. The ideal approach would be to enrich the product with more functions but this I imagine would also lead to an increase in cost.

It would be useful to have more logs and in aggregate mode, perhaps through a specific report, that can be more easily used for troubleshooting.

We have been using the Check Point Anti-Spam and Email Security Software Blade for six months.

For small mail flows, this product is stable.

This solution is ideal for a small business or if you have a mail server in the cloud and most of the spam is blocked by the provider. It is not good for large email flows. If you require or move to large mail flows, the solution needs to be changed.

Third-party customer service was excellent and the technical team is highly skilled.

Previously, there was no specific solution and we relied on the local antispam engine installed on the clients.

The initial setup is simple and it takes just a few steps.

Our ROI is in line with the investment.

This is a simple system with a very low cost and basic functions, which surely is ideal for a small company.

We tried Apache SpamAssassin but it was difficult to integrate it into our environment.

What other advice do I have?

Unfortunately, the product has not proved up to par. Every component has to do its job; it is an excellent advanced firewall solution and we cannot expect it to do everything but the Spam and Email Blade must do its job well as Check Point does.

More Check Point Anti-Spam and Email Security Software Blade reviews from users
...who compared it with Trend Micro Email Security
Learn what your peers think about Check Point Anti-Spam and Email Security Software Blade. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,946 professionals have used our research since 2012.