Check Point Application Control Review

We can filter a search based on risk level to see all applications at a certain risk level

What is our primary use case?

The Check Point Application Control blade provides application security and identity control for our organization. It gives us very easy to create policies based on users and groups. We use Critical Risk and Anonymizers, P2P file sharing, Spyware, and Remote admin categories. We use Application Control in two ways, separate rule base and with access policy as well. My all over experience is good.

How has it helped my organization?

With Check Point Application Control we can say we improved our legacy and have made them more secure. Now we are able to allow specific applications on respective service and we are allowed those respective services only.

With Application Control we have visibility into who is accessing which application but our pain area is still with HTTPS inspection.

Overall, Application Control is a very good blade and it is very helpful in our complex environment. We can restrict our site to site rule as well.

What is most valuable?

The Check Point Application control database contains each and every application and category and each of the applications and categories describe the additional category and also a risk level. The database updates regularly. It gives us the updated and latest lists of applications that are widely used. We can filter a search based on risk level, risk level 5 to see all applications with that risk level. We can also see the description of the risk level with the lag line.

What needs improvement?

Most of the business applications stopped working, we don't know why and we have already escalated to the top level but we still haven't gotten any corrective action on this. They always take logs but after that, there is no resolution. They need to improve this, this will help us a lot. We have not blocked anything on a rule base we have enabled HTTPS on a monitoring mode but still, we are facing issues, and if we add an unknown category on that respective rule only then does it start working.

I have been using Check Point for four years.

Stability is good.

Support is genuinely not good on Application Control.

The initial setup was straightforward.

We initially implemented it with a vendor.

We have seen ROI.

What other advice do I have?

They have to improve more on the Application Control blade.

Learn what your peers think about Check Point Application Control. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: April 2021.
476,163 professionals have used our research since 2012.