Check Point CloudGuard Posture Management Review

Helpful account discovery feature and good reporting against compliance

What is our primary use case?

We are a reseller of security solutions, and we also offer professional and managed services around them. We cover network security, web application firewalls, email, web security, security information and event management, privilege access management, and other such products.

Dome9 is one of the solutions that we implement for our customers, and they use it to help secure their cloud. It works on several cloud platforms, including Azure and AWS. It will handle security issues such as ensuring a proper configuration, that the credentials are set up correctly, and that the storage of sensitive data is appropriately configured.

Some of our customers use Dome9 for discovery, to help them understand the different accounts that they have in the cloud. Very often, there can be a proliferation of cloud-based accounts and applications that the organization on a wider basis is not aware of. Dome9 is very good if you need to get an inventory and reporting on the current state of your environment.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the discovery. People are often quite shocked when they run the analysis and figure out all of the accounts and servers that are running in their environment. These are accounts that they are unaware of.

The reporting against compliance is an important feature that helps you comply with policies and standards within your organization.

What needs improvement?

I have been working with Dome9 for about one year.

I have never had any negative feedback about stability, so I assume that it's perfectly stable.

Dome9 is very scalable, although as it scales it can become quite costly. As such, for some of our customers, scaling is not possible because it is cost-prohibitive.

I have not personally deployed Dome9 so I have not had any contact with technical support.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. You can get it up and running in a matter of hours. Because it is cloud-based, it pulls the information in via APIs. As long as you can put in the relevant account details, it can work almost immediately.

There is a language that you can use to create policies and rules, which gives you the ability to do more complicated things, but it will take longer to set up.

It only takes a few people to deploy this solution. One from our side and perhaps two from the customer's side.

It is a very straightforward licensing model that is based on the number of assets you are discovering and managing with the solution.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is considering this product is to look at the free proof of concept that is available. This makes it very easy to try out at no cost. I suggest trying it out on a subset of the environment first, just to get everything working well. After establishing what reporting you want, and what policies you want to check your environment against, you can expand to cover a wider set of your environment.

The biggest lesson that I have learned from using this product is that organizations are very uninformed about their cloud presence, what assets they have, and what shape it's in. It's huge exposure for the organization to have all of these assets in the cloud but not have the visibility and traceability around them. Organizations that don't have a solution like this are often insecure because of what they have in the cloud.

Overall, Dome9 is a good product and I haven't received any negative feedback from our customers about it.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

More Check Point CloudGuard Posture Management reviews from users
Learn what your peers think about Check Point CloudGuard Posture Management. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,189 professionals have used our research since 2012.