Check Point CloudGuard Review

Enables us to move into the cloud without having to change a lot of our internal processes and retrain staff but it has more maturing to do

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for major cloud vendors: AWS and Azure.

How has it helped my organization?

Moving into the cloud without having to change a lot of our internal processes and retrain staff is one of the biggest benefits of this solution.

What is most valuable?

It is what we use mainly for on-premise. That is really what has us using the product, as it is sort of our standard for data centers.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more focus on east-west traffic inspection and AWS.

Things are changing very quickly in the cloud. There is a lot more maturing that needs to happen as far as CloudGuard goes, specifically more around some cloud native type situations where everything is being shoehorned through one or multiple VMs is not optimal.

We definitely have to watch new versions and deploy them in a smart way, but that is the way with any type of software.

The scalability depends on the situation. Some situations are not very scalable. High scalability, in AWS, without matting is just not there. It's more of an AWS problem than it is a Check Point problem.

We are receiving our technical support through a partner. Therefore, we do not really engage directly with Check Point that much. We use the partner for technical support matters, who is great.

We did not use anything previously. Going to the cloud was a new requirement for us.

The initial setup was just as straightforward as setting up a physical Check Point box would have been.

We implemented in-house by deploying it ourselves.

We don't really track the ROI on this.

We also considered Fortinet. Check Point has better overall integration with Azure.

I was part of the decision-making process.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a six out of ten.

Other vendors typically are working with hardware acceleration and various other products, which you can't get in the cloud. One of the key things that made us more comfortable with Check Point is this is only thing that they do. It's the same exact thing as they are doing on-premise for the most part.