Check Point Endpoint Security Review

Covers firewall, availability, VPN, IP security, IPS, application control, URL filtering, antibot, antivirus, anti-spam, and sandblast threat emulation and extraction.

What is our primary use case?

We use it for government utility billing, with all of our systems located in different places, working remotely as well. We also have an on-prem data center here in India. We have Check Point to cover all these things.

What is most valuable?

We used to have Fortigate, the firewall, and endpoints were only protected by an antivirus. We did not have threat management or ransomware protection. We upgraded to Check Point to get this kind of protection at the endpoint level. It covers firewall, availability, VPN, IP security, IPS, application control, URL filtering, antibot, antivirus, anti-spam, and sandblast threat emulation and extraction.

What needs improvement?

The entire industry may move to the cloud, where we don't have to worry.

Less than one year.

The stability is good.

The scalability is there.

Their technical support is good.

We changed from Fortigate because we deal with public data, government data, utility billing. It is very important to maintain security to the greatest extent possible. We can't afford to lose data.

Our billing cycle that takes place periodically. If we miss something, lose data due to ransomware or the like, we are totally out or operation. We can't again continue the billing cycle in such a situation. It is subject to penalties imposed by the local state government.

The deployment was very simple. It took about 20 days.

We had help from a Check Point solution partner.

Check Point offered very good pricing through negotiation. The licensing is done yearly. We have a three-year subscription, including premium, direct support; the Next Generation and SandBlast are for two years. Our cost, including everything, is 18 lakh rupees.

Symantec is expensive so we did not go for it. Many solutions are equally good, you could go for any of them. Check Point offered competitive pricing and additional features. Symantec may be suitable for certain applications and certain data centers. But what we found over a period of time Check Point suits our purpose.

What other advice do I have?

If you have a medium-size environment like ours, this solution should serve the purpose, although you may need different things. In security, one thing cannot suit everybody.

We have about 500 users of the solution. We don't have any immediate plans to increase our usage. Any increase would be at least two to three years in the future, given the type of environment and workloads that we have.