Check Point IPS Review

Helps prevent unwanted and unknown attacks

What is our primary use case?

I work in MNC company and we have 6 GEO locations in India and all of our locations are using Check Point as a perimeter firewall. I sit in our HO Office and I am maintaining all the location firewalls with my team, except for 1 location. We regularly monitor the security alerts on our perimeter and based on that we will align our location IT to check and update us. IPS is our core blade for network security, it is provide the details that some suspicious activities happen on our network as per the IPS signature database, and based on that we will work on that.

As our primary use case with IPS blade we are daily receiving non-compliant IKE alert, and we know if we prevented it then what impact will happen, our all site to site tunnel will stop working which is running with noncompliant IKE and we are not forcing our client to update that noncompliant IKE protocol.

How has it helped my organization?

We have configured the IPS daily report on our Check Point Gateway so we get daily reports with details of IPS related alerts. Based on the report we will check whether it is in prevention or detection mode and based on that we will check with the internal team and work on that. This is a very useful blade to prevent unwanted and unknown attacks. We can also create strict policies in the IPS blade to prevent high and critical severity but in our organization, we follow the same but in some cases, we have created exceptions.

Overall with the IPS blade we can say we are secure with unknown attacks.

What is most valuable?

The default category (Low, Medium, High, Critical) is the most valuable feature because we don't know what type of attack will happen, but with this category, we can create a policy to prevent any high and critical severity behavior. With this, we can protect our organization from weakness exploit of vulnerable systems.

IPS can protect our organization with any old vulnerabilities or if any vulnerability was detected within a few minutes. IPS can protect us as per our configured policy.

What needs improvement?

I strongly agree that with IPS blade we can protect our organization vulnerabilities. I would like to have the ability to virtually patch our application or vulnerable machine that is talking ourside our network. If it is there then we can protect our application and systems to any unknown attack if our system or application has a weakness or vulnerability.

I observed on our management that sometimes IPS does not connect to the threat cloud, we have to check and improve it. Otherwise, all of the features are good.

I have been using Check Point IPS for the last four years.

Sometimes it will not connect to the threat cloud.

This is a fully salable blade.

Overall okay.

Straightforward.

Vendor team

Priceless.

Reg. cost and licensing part out procurement team taking care.

What other advice do I have?

The IPS is a very good blade in Check Point NGFW.

More Check Point IPS reviews from users