Check Point NGFW Review

Saves a lot of manpower with its centralized management feature

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution for the security enhancement of our internal company network. This is to protect our customers as well as internal users from the untrusted network or outside world.

I am using the physical appliances of Check Point Firewall as well as virtual machines (VMs). We are using the same versions of R80 on our VMs that we are using for our physical appliances.

How has it helped my organization?

It saves a lot of manpower. If we have centralized management, then we do not require as many members on our team. So, this is a cost saving feature. If there wasn't centralized management, we would need 30 members instead of 11 members for our team.

What is most valuable?

The nicest feature is the centralized management of multiple firewalls. With the centralized management, we can easily use and operate multiple firewalls as well as create a diagram of them.

It has various features, like Threat Prevention and Antivirus. It is easier to use and have knowledge of a single device rather than multiple devices/technologies when doing an installation. It is also easy to use because of having Antivirus and Threat Prevention features within the same firewall.

What needs improvement?

I would like the user interface to be more user-friendly. I want the UI to be easier to use than Check Point's competitors.

We have been using this technology for the last four years.

Check Point is the one of the most trusted vendors in the market. All the Checkpoint Firewall updates are very nice. We get the updates every months, and they are very stable updates.

The solution is very scalable. It is easy to expand it, if required. and doesn't take too much time. It also doesn't require too much manpower.

There are 2000 to 4000 people who are indirectly using Check Point Firewall.

It is always a good experience to work with their technical support. They are knowledgeable, always finding a solution. If we send them a bug, they fix it as soon as they can.

I previously used Cisco ASA Firewalls for network security.

Check Point is more advanced in comparison to Cisco Firewall. It has many good features, like central management, Threat Prevention, and Antivirus included in one device. With Cisco, we didn't have that.

The setup is straightforward, not complex; it was a simple setup. For the physical firewall, we just required a physical appliance, then we set it up according to our requirements. We had the complete setup guidelines. We used the three-tier hierarchy, which is standard and recommended for Check Point. We could also purchase service from Check Point to assist with the setup process. So, it was a good experience.

Our deployment took six to eight months.

We didn't require Check Point's help during deployment. After deployment, we did require their help for critical cases.

This product provides a complete return on investment. It gives us the level of security that we expect and should have.

The pricing and licensing part is something that could be improved. Check Point license and pricing are a bit higher compared to competing firewalls. I think they can work on that.

We didn't require an evaluation process. We knew that we had to go for Check Point.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate the solution an eight out of 10.

R80
More Check Point NGFW reviews from users
Learn what your peers think about Check Point NGFW. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,281 professionals have used our research since 2012.