Check Point NGFW Review

Gives me peace of mind as we can now block BitTorrent and other high bandwidth downloads.

What is our primary use case?

We are a large University with more than 1000 employees across seven faculties and growing. Student population is more than 15,000 in-house and 30,000 external. The University of Kelaniya Sri Lanka primarily uses the Check Point 4800 device to protect users and servers. The product also enables the VPN with advanced security policies inside our network. This gives us a better security posture. Valuable features include a good VPN, IPsec, and SSL. We use Check Point 4800 as a perimeter firewall and our internet bandwidth expanded to 1Gbps.

How has it helped my organization?

We use it mainly for security and content control. Earlier, we could not block BitTorrent and other high bandwidth downloads from our firewall. After introducing this NGFW, we have improved our security posture, and now, have peace of mind.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the IPsec VPN. The application and content filtering is perfect for our university. This device gives us alerts and reports on a daily and weekly basis. It gives us the opportunity to know what is going on. The Smart Dashboard and other user interfaces are very easy to use and can be handled without any significant IT skills. It allows for easy policy management.

The Check Point Capsule VPN is a great feature. It connects to our university in a few seconds.

It's easy to handle and manage. No need for significant IT skills to manage this solution.

What needs improvement?

Check Point Smart Dashboard does not support my Apple MacBook Air. It only supports Windows versions. Checkpoint does not support captive portal in IPv6. We had a big issue. Not solved yet by Checkpoint experts.

Three to five years.

Check Point is a stable product.

No issues with scalability.

We used Cisco ASA 5510 as our perimeter firewall before purchasing this NGFW. It only had firewall features. We switched because we were looking for a strong gateway level security with attributes like antivirus, anti-spam, IPS, web content filtering, application control, and secure wireless access points.

The initial setup was straightforward.

A vendor team implemented this. They gave us in-house training for our staff. They are experts in Check Point and taught us well.

It has a great ROI.

Pricing is negotiable and competitive.

We selected the following brands and models by going through different reviews:

We requested that the vendors do a PoC. Check Point, SonicWall, Sophos and Fortinet agreed to run one. Finally, we chose Check Point.

What other advice do I have?

We are in the higher education sector in Sri Lanka. We produce graduates to our country and other countries.

4800
More Check Point NGFW reviews from users
Learn what your peers think about Check Point NGFW. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
533,638 professionals have used our research since 2012.