Check Point NGFW Review

Provides detailed reports and has good scalability

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a firewall device and for our VPN.

What is most valuable?

It gives me very detailed reports. The endpoint solution for clients is wonderful.

What needs improvement?

We're looking at the endpoint because there are some smaller issues with internet connectivity within our country.

Although they have it now, we don't have a license for it, and I think mobile device security should be a standard feature. I cannot control someone bringing their device to my network and what they do.

I've been using the solution for 6 months.

Within the first four weeks, we had a few little issues with stability, consideration issues here and there. But the partner helped and gave direction that and now it's better. It's still under warranty so we are okay with it. We have about 250 users. We also have the administrative and the IT team in the company that manages different solutions.

We are definitely planning to increase the scale, especially the endpoint. The cost in comparison with the brand new addition will be okay.

Right now, the agreement we have is elaborate enterprise support. That means we are entitled to an engineer within 48 hours if we have issues that can't be resolved remotely. I've been satisfied with technical support so far.

We were using the Sonicwall NSG 3400. It's a good appliance, but the major problem is they don't have competent technical partners in Nigeria. So all our support was via email, phone, and remote. It wasn't very good which is why we had to change it. Sometimes our network went down and we had to start calling so that we can call on the device. They needed to have someone in Nigeria that could assist. That's why we had to leave it.

The initial setup was very straightforward. You can customize it and change it as you need. But the initial information is wonderful. Initial deployment took approximately two and a half days. Then, to complete everything took a week. Deployment took about 3-4 people.

We had a partner. A representative of Check Point came and did the implementation.

We pay a license fee on a three year basis. We have a three-year license. We pay $5,000-$6,000 a year.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise anyone to try Check Point.

I would rate this solution 7.5 out of 10. I think they should make their licensing simpler.