Check Point NGFW Review

User-friendly and offers multilayered, innovative, and flexible protection against a variety of threats

What is our primary use case?

We have a big environment with nearly fifteen multi-vendor clusters. We are using firewalls mainly for layer three access rules. But nowadays, application-layer-based security and threat prevention are also important. We are using IPS and antivirus blades actively, too.

In the Intrusion Prevention System blade, we are using a lot of different signatures and actions according to the impact, severity, and cost of the specified signature. The antivirus blade is also in the same logic as the Intrusion Prevention System.

How has it helped my organization?

Multilayered protection is provided thanks to Check Point. For instance, security is achieved both on the endpoint side, as well as the firewall side.

Another example is that we can prevent critical and high-risk applications from being reached through the internal network by utilizing the application blade.

All of the blades, except URL filtering, are in the same interface and provide big savings when leading the security operations.

What is most valuable?

Firstly, inline layer technology is helpful because it will classify the traffic according to different security groups. This means that we can isolate them totally and it will also prevent human error because you are limiting source, destination, service, and application parameters at the top of the inline layer rule.

Check Point is very administrator-friendly and the SmartDashboard is easy to use.

The Blades and security features are also very innovative and up-to-date.

With the IPS blade, the administrator can write signature-based exceptions for specific users. This provides flexibility to except specific connections from specific signatures.

The cloning and copy/paste operations are very useful.

What needs improvement?

The SmartUpdate interface is a little bit crowded if your company has a lot of software items.

As an administrator, one should know how to troubleshoot by issuing related CLI commands before or after upgrading gateways, or the management server, in case of a problem.

Hardware problems on Check Point devices, such as those related to NIC or disk problems, may occur at times. In cases such as this, the support team is available and does what is needed, including the RMA process if necessary.

We have been using Check Point for 10 years.

In my opinion, scaling is very important and it must be done ahead of time. I would suggest considering scale three years in advance, as opposed to just the present.

We did not use another solution prior to this one.

Licensing issues may be confusing at times.

We did not evaluate other products before choosing Check Point NGFW.