Check Point SandBlast Review

Enabled us to detect a lot of threats and prevented a lot of threats from entering our environments

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for Edge firewalls and our cloud.

How has it helped my organization?

Check Point has enabled us to detect a lot of threats and prevented a lot of threats from entering our environments. It has kept us safe.

What is most valuable?

When they work, the log correlation, IPS, antivirus, anti-bot, and the SandBlast are the most valuable features.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more fine-tune MDM integration, specifically iPhones and Symantec pieces. It integrated in great, but not all of the features went in smoothly. They should expand the partnership with some of the bigger MDM companies that the product relies on.

Every time we try to do SandBlast, we run into a conundrum where the certificate issue comes into play. We've gone through it with engineers and it's very painful to keep up on that process. There could be improvements with changing the HTTPS inspection mechanism, or how it's done. That would be huge. Everybody that I've spoken to engineer-wise has said that is very painful and time-consuming. This would be one of the things that I would recommend that they fix.

I just want the product to work and make sure it's reliable. That's my biggest thing from the security aspect.

I am very leery right now about the stability. We've had three outages in the last month because of Check Point, not because of something that the customer has done, but because of changes on the Check Point side. This is what we were advise of.

In terms of scalability. CloudGuard looks amazing. The auto-scaling, the HA, or whatever option you select, I like it. It will add bang for the buck once we get it in there, and finalize it. It should work as designed. Then, I'll be ecstatic.

When I call support, I'll go around and around for a couple of weeks to finally get the issue solved. I would like to see better and more specific support areas for certain products. On some of our engagements, we had Check Point come in and advise us on what to upgrade to since we had an older version. We specified that we didn't want any outages. Then, as soon as we upgraded, within a week, we had an outage.

We wanted to keep our eggs in one basket, not having a knowledge gap between multiple tools. That is why we decided to go with this product. Up until recently, we had a good scorecard with them.

The initial setup depends on your environment. For the cloud stuff, it was pretty straightforward. On-premise is an ever-evolving thing.

Initial deployment has been in for years. We went through Check Point support and our technical account managers (TAMs) to receive resources and engineers.

I would advise someone considering this solution to engage with the Diamond engineers for implementation.

We have seen ROI.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it an eight out of ten.