Check Point Security Management Review

Good scalability and a straightforward setup, but the solution needs performance tuning options

What is our primary use case?

We are primarily using the solution as a firewall, and for some IPS features as well.

What is most valuable?

The firewall's blades are the solution's most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

We had a lot of problems with the VPN blade on the solution.

We sometimes have trouble with the performance of the solution. Maybe some performance tuning options could be added in a future release. There should be more visibility about which blade in your firewall is causing the latency. That would be nice as well.

I've been using the solution for five years.

The stability of the file blade is good. However, there are a lot of blades, and some of the blades have bugs. For example, the VPN is not so stable. Aso, sometimes when we have high loads on our firewall because we have 20,000 users, the Firewall blade also has trouble.

The scalability of the solution is good. However, we have four or five firewalls and that's more than enough, so we don't need to increase the usage. We have about 20,000 users that go through the firewall at this time.

We don't go through technical support if we need assistance. We instead go to our consultants which assist us if we run into any issues. The consultants may sometimes open cases, but we have no direct contact with Check Point.

We didn't previously use a different solution.

In general, the initial setup was straightforward. Deployment for us took quite long because we migrated in small steps. That was our choice and had nothing to do with Check Point. We have five people managing the solution, and we have two consultants that sometimes help us with some troubleshooting and features.

We used a consultant to assist with the implementation.

Before choosing Check Point, we evaluated FortiGate from FortiNet, Sonicwall from Dell and Cisco FW products.

What other advice do I have?

We're using the on-premises deployment model.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.