Check Point UTM-1 [EOL] Review

It presents information clearly and doesn't require command code, but VPN and IPS have room for improvement.

What is most valuable?

• Firewalls
  • IPS

How has it helped my organization?

As a security information analyst, it helps me to see information in a very clear way. You don’t have to use command code. The platform is very simple, and you don’t need to be an expert to understand the reports.

What needs improvement?

• VPN - It's not that good, so I moved to Juniper.
  • IPS - It has room for improvement, as sometimes hackers are able to get through.

I've used it for two years.

My web infrastructure is different than in other places, therefore the version provided by CheckPoint did not fit a first. I needed to report the bugs to CheckPoint for them to fix them and update the version.

I have two clusters, so even in the rare situation that I have a problem with the stability, it will switch to the cluster. The end users would not notice a switch.

Customer service is not their strong suite. It takes a lot of time until they fix anything, and it can be better to try and fix the issue without them. They have many clients, most of them are large companies, so it’s hard for small-medium companies.

Technical support is not their strong suite. It takes a lot of time until they fix anything, and it can be better to try and fix the issue without them. They have many clients, most of them are large companies, so it’s hard for small-medium companies.

I am using both CheckPoint and Fortigate as result of my complex web infrastructure. Every ISP exits through a different firewall.

It was complex. I initially received two different firewalls from CheckPoint due to my web infrastructure. Every firewall got configured with different rules, and at the point when we wanted to merge them, problems occurred.

Our integrator did great work, integrating 1500 rules.

It's the best of breed with a good return.

You don’t have to buy the cluster immediately. I waited for a year before buying it. By doing that, I’ve split the budget, and was able to convince my managers to buy the solution.

I bought only the hardware, and used an open server license for the rest. CheckPoint would not suggest it, but it works for me.

1 Comment

author avatar
Hamza_Farhan (A10 Networks)

Checkpoint is the most complex firewall/UTM/NGFW among the vendors I worked with compared to Fortinet / SonicWall / Netasq. The product is stable and comes with many amazing features even most of them costing money but with these features, you can easily get better viability of your network(s).