Check Point UTM-1 [EOL] Review

Ease to manage and connect to other solutions

What is most valuable?

I found the batching part of Check Point very valuable. It is one part I really like about Check Point. I also like the way we connect to the monitoring. For example, in Cisco ASA we talk about FMC and we talk about like management center and the firewall. The way we get connected to the firewall is we can configure one firewall by using one management center. That approach is what I really like about Check Point because you can manage the Check Point firewall by using only one management center.

One more thing about the HTTPS, the SS encryption, and decryption - that is very secure. Those are the features that make me highly recommend that the client goes with Check Point, instead of another solution.

What needs improvement?

The solution should be more user-friendly. I know we can do a lot of the configuration using GUI or CLI. But they have to work more on their GUI. If they work more in the GUI I think many people will come to the solution.

I've been using this solution since 2017.

The solution is very robust. That is one thing I really like about it. And the durability is also a great thing. With a Check Point solution, we can connect to other solutions and I really like that capability. Right now I have two hundred users.

Yes, it's very scalable. Also, if I have a Check Point firewall, and I want to use a Cisco ASA firewall too, these two firewalls can communicate together. I can put them together and that is great. I have plans to increase usage. If the users increase we have to increase the boxes and all of the hardware.

I would rate the technical support eight out of ten. Sometimes the support is not really easy in this part of the world. When you need to connect it usually takes time. Within one day, two days, you'll get support, so that somebody can take over your solution and try to help you out. If you have some issues, you want to Google it. It is really not easy like Cisco and others. Because with Cisco, even if you get an issue, you can see a lot of forums that will help you find answers. But with Check Point, you will not find too many forums that can help you solve your issue.

The initial setup wasn't complex. I would say it isn't complex for a person who knows a bit about Check Point. If I have to compare Check Point with FortiGate, I would say FortiGate would be easier to configure. It's more user-friendly than Check Point. Check Point is okay. I cannot say it's easy, or difficult, but somewhere in the middle.

The length of deployment depends. For example, I deployed for one of my customers at the last minute over here, and it took me two days. To do the visuals and everything to make the inspection, it took me two days to do the deployment.

For deployment and maintenance, I think one or two people is okay. For the maintenance, about the same number.

I evaluated other options and my main focus was looking for something robust. That was my main goal. At that time I was working on completing my certification in Check Point, and as I learned about Check Point I really liked the solution.

What other advice do I have?

In 2017 I passed the exam, so I'm a certified Check Point administration user. Technology-wise, I think Check Point is more robust than FortiGate. Since I have installed the solution everything is working very great.

It is easy to configure a Check Point solution with a different operating system. That is one thing I really like about it. And that is not as easy with FortiGate or other solutions.

I would advise people to try Check Point because you cannot know how great is until you try it. I recommend that you try it once, and then you will definitely see the difference between Check Point and other vendors. People will say, "Cisco can do the same thing, Palo Alto can do the same thing, FortiGate can do the same thing, so why CheckPoint?" I say CheckPoint is more robust and you can never understand how great Check Point is until you try it.

I would rate the solution a nine out of ten. If the interface was more user-friendly I'd rate it higher.