Check Point UTM-1 [EOL] Review

Good filtering features but has terrible technical support

What is our primary use case?

We were developing something called a remote monitoring center and we wanted to have many plans logging into and having a VPN connection to their networks.

What is most valuable?

The filtering was very good.

What needs improvement?

The licensing could be improved. It restricted us to maybe 55 connections per license, so anything less than 55 VPN connections. But when you grow and have 100 clients coming in, you have to upgrade. I'd prefer to get something which is a one case scenario.

I think in the future they should also overhaul how all the functionalities work. I tried to gauge what I expected it to do after the setup, but as much as I tried to use it, I still had issues, still had problems with it. And OEM wasn't very supportive. Maybe it works for some setups, but not for what I set it up for.

I've been using the solution for two years.

I would give the stability a six out of 10.

I would give the scalability 6 out of 10.

Technical support was very bad because the supplier who sold it to us, wasn't very supportive, and he wouldn't giving us direct links to the OEM. Then the OEM wasn't quite supportive and that's when we decided if we're going to have that kind of a relationship, we'd rather pull out.

We were using Cyberoam, and then we changed to Sophos. We had an appliance for Sophos, and then because we were moving to a bigger setup, we moved to Check Point. We've since moved to FortiGate. That's the solution we have now.

The initial setup was easy. Because it was a new deployment, it took four hours. The good thing about it was is that it was a retrofit. It wasn't something they had to move out and bring in.

I started with 46 users, and clients were growing to 59 and heading on to 60. That's when I suffered limitations with their licensing. We had to go back and forth with the supplier in this area. It didn't work out well for me or the clients. It wasn't favorable.

The licensing was sold to me as yearly, but at the beginning, I assumed if I was getting the license, that it would be a one-time thing. I didn't like that I had to renew yearly.

What other advice do I have?

We've actually stopped using it. We switched to FortiGate because we had side to side VPNs that were are actually bringing issues with the UTM itself, so we had to swap it over.

I would rate the overall solution a six out of 10. There's room for improvement. I think it has the potential to do so much, but it is limited to some features. Or maybe it didn't serve my purpose as I expected it to. That's why I now think there is a bit of reservation on my end for using the product.

In terms of advice, I'd say that anyone going with the solution should really know the product before they purchase it, otherwise it will be a waste of money. If they really know it or have someone who actually knows the product 100 percent, they might be okay.

For our company, it didn't work, but what really captured the market at this end for many was the 4G and because there's just one price, and the setup is easy.