Check Point UTM-1 [EOL] Review

It performs reliably and you can watch it block hacks, but it needs more customization options for network threat management.

Valuable Features

• Reliability
  • Performance
  • Security

Improvements to My Organization

It keeps the bad guys out.

Room for Improvement

They should provide better customization options for network threat management.

Use of Solution

I've used it from 2003 to date.

At first, we tried to implement it not as a cluster, but when we decided to implement as a cluster, it required us to change our entire network infrastructure.

Since I was a beta tester, it had a lot of bugs, which I helped fix.

It depends if you buy the hardware from Check Point or not. I didn’t, so I didn’t have any issues with scalability.

Horrible. It takes them days, sometimes weeks, until they try to help, and then they don't help enough. I have a limited support help. Generally speaking, though, they don’t have problems, and I’m really satisfied.

Not good. They have one of the top engineers, who told me to change something and now I’m buying something else from them.

I’ve just bought FortiGate, and am trying to compare the two to determine which has better features.

It's straightforward, as I did a course for a year with Check Point.

ROI

Excellent. Best in their market.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

Price is 170,000 Shekels/year. Day-to-day is one and a half people for licensing.

Other Advice

This is my favorite product that I use, and I think it's one of the best in the world. Watching it block hacks is very interesting. It's a great product and fun to work with. Keep innovating, Check Point.