Checkmarx Review

Very good technical support, good vulnerability protection upgrades, and rich in features

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for static security scanning and static security testing. We also use it for code dependency analysis. We use two of the solution's tools for each variable.

What is most valuable?

The support the solution offers is very good. When we were evaluating tools, they were extremely helpful. They're always available and they always respond back to any queries.

The solution is always updating to continuously add items that create a level of safety from vulnerabilities. It's one of the key features they provide that's an excellent selling point. They're always ahead of the game when it comes to finding any vulnerabilities within the database. I am able to be assured that when I am scanning my product those vulnerabilities are identified at very initial stages. It gives my development team more time to react.

What needs improvement?

The particular way the tool works for the scanning at the IDE level, is very expensive. It makes it very expensive to deploy this tool on to multiple different developers' machines. Right now, the way it scans, the request is raised to the IDE of the developer but then the actual scanning gets done in the centralized scan server. This increases the load on the scanning server and that will make it difficult to use Checkmarx at the developer end. That forces me to look for another solution for implementing at the developer IDE level. I would strongly recommend Checkmarx relook into their approach.

From a technical point of view, it's better to integrate with other systems within my ecosystem. For example, when I'm connecting Checkmarx with my DevSecOps pipeline and then wiring Checkmarx with other security systems as well as the pipeline (and my defect management system), it provides the connectivity to some of the tools, but there are tools which are excluded. It would be nice if they were added to the solution itself, otherwise, it requires us to do custom development.

In terms of dashboarding, the solution could provide a little more flexibility in terms of creating more dashboards. It has some of its own dashboards that come out of the box. However, if I have to implement my own dashboards that are aligned to my organization's requirements, that dashboarding feature has limited capability right now. I would recommend much more flexibility in terms of dashboarding to help us customize more effectively.

Their licensing model is rigid and difficult to navigate.

I haven't been dealing with the solution for that long. We've only used it for one quarter - about three months.

Their licensing fees are rigid and this causes two main issues. One is a restriction in terms of scaling the product at an enterprise level. The number of licenses required for a sizable business is just too large. The solution forces a user to apply for the licenses not directly to the software and the software products are defined in a curious way. For that reason, I wouldn't say it's great at scaling.

So far, technical support at the initial level has been decent. We paid for their protection services, and, the protection tool is definitely very expensive. However, with the price tag comes more support and service.

We'll have to see in the coming quarters once the protection services end if the support will continue to be at such a high level of attention.

We were using IBM AppScan. Checkmarx is much better than that particular tool. It has more functionality and offers much more support to its users than IBM.

It took about two to three days to deploy a basic portion of the solution. However, it takes more time in terms of configuring and fine-tuning the product so that it's useable. I would say it took us about two to three weeks of configuring before we could start our initial scans.

We bought that separate service from Checkmarx to help us out in terms of deploying and configuring the products.

This solution is definitely one of the more expensive tools. However, if I'm able to get value out of using it, I don't mind paying.

They have protection services costs that are separate from the main license.

There are multiple components that are part of the product suite and there are different license costs for each of those components. Sometimes it can be a little difficult to understand. There are a lot of components an individual will need to buy to cover an organization's needs. It really should be more transparent and flexible. Their licensing model as of today is quite rigid.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a special relationship with the company.

I would definitely recommend Checkmarx, I find them much more feature-rich than other tools I've used in the past.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Private Cloud