Checkmarx Review

What is our primary use case?

I am the founder and the chairman of an internationally certified cybersecurity research lab. I have a Ph.D. in cryptology and network security.

We are a strategic partner of Checkmarx. Our job is to help them develop solutions. Currently, we are developing some algorithms and strategic solutions for them. Checkmarx informs us about what is happening, in advance, before they launch a product. We are also one of their testers.

What is most valuable?

Aside from my occupation, I am an academic. Because of our status, we test products as well as their competition, for example, we45, AppScan, SonarQube, etc. I have to point out, from an academic and business point of view, there is a very serious competitive advantage to using Checkmarx. Even if there are multiple vulnerabilities in the source coding, Checkmarx is able to identify which lines need to be corrected and then proceeds to automatically remediate the situation. This is an outstanding advantage that none of the competition offers.

The flexibility in regards to finding false-positives and false-negatives is amazing. Checkmarx can easily manage false-positives and negatives. You don't need to generate an additional platform if you would like to scan a mobile application from iOS or Android. With a single license, you are able to scan and test every platform. This is not possible with other competitive products. For instance, say you are using we45 — if you would like to scan an iOS application, you would have to generate an iOS platform first. With Checkmarx you don't need to do anything — take the source code, scan it and you're good to go. Last but not least, the incremental scanning capabilities are a mission-critical feature for developers.

Also, the API and integrations are both very flexible.

What needs improvement?

Checkmarx is going to announce the cloud version very soon. Every product has something innovative at the moment. Presently, we are extremely satisfied and that's why Checkmarx has been the leader for the last few years, consecutively. This is the third year they have been recognized in the static code analysis world.

Micro-services need to be included in the next release; however, as a developer, I can assure you that micro-service methodology is going to be improved in the next version. Presently, they support micro-services, but the supporting methodology of the micro-services is not good enough at the moment.

I have been using Checkmarx for six years.

Checkmarx is stable. We investigate the stability of the competition as well. From my point of view, it is the best product on the market. It's relatively expensive, but it's the best product. Keep in mind, this is not my private comment. I respect the comments, results, and the statistics of Gartner and these are their findings.

Checkmarx has been selected as the front-runner by Gartner for the third year in a row — you bet it's scalable.

We give technical support in our territory; Checkmarx's technical support is also quite good. If you open a ticket with a question, they'll reply the same day.

The initial setup is not complex at all, it's straightforward and robust. If you decide to use Checkmarx, you'll be ready to go in one day.

What other advice do I have?

If you wish to purchase Checkmarx, you should scan the same source code with a different product, compare them to their competition, and make a decision. This way, you can see the difference and understand the benefits of Checkmarx. Test and scan some lines of code in any programming language you wish, then do the same with a competitor. Checkmarx will produce far fewer false-positives compared to any other solution on the market. Other solutions will produce roughly 900 false-positives whereas Checkmarx will cut that number in half. I am not trying to sell this product to you, this is simply the reality of it.

From the technological side, I would give this solution a rating of ten. From a commercial aspect, because it's relatively expensive, I would give it a rating of eight. Overall, because I must choose one number between one and ten, I will give Checkmarx a rating of ten.

Day by day, they are improving this product. For example, one of the most important features missing was open sources, which they have now added. They were also missing code training facilities, but they have added those as well. They have a complimentary product now.

More Checkmarx reviews from users