Checkmarx Review

A stable solution for identifying security vulnerabilities but needs functionalities for identifying the run-time null values and doing static and dynamic code validation

What is our primary use case?

We use Checkmarx for security vulnerability identification. We are using its latest version. We have a license to upgrade to the latest version. Whenever there is a new version, we update it to the latest version.

What is most valuable?

The identification of verification-related security vulnerabilities is really important and one of the key things. It also identifies vulnerabilities for any kind of third-party tool coming into the system or any third-party tools that you are using, which is very useful for avoiding random hacking.

What needs improvement?

We are trying to find out if there is a way to identify the run-time null values. I am analyzing different tools to check if there is any tool that supports run-time null value identification, but I don't think any of the tools in the market currently supports this feature. It would be helpful if Checkmarx can identify and throw an exception for a null value at the run time. It would make things a lot easier if there is a way for Checkmarx to identify nullable fields or hard-coded values in the code.

The accessibility for customized Checkmarx rules is currently limited and should be improved. In addition, it would be great if Checkmarx can do static code and dynamic code validation. It does a lot of security-related scanning, and it should also do static code and dynamic code validation. Currently, for security-related validation, we are using Checkmarx, and for static code and dynamic code validation, we are using some other tools. We are spending money on different tools. We can pay a little extra money and use Checkmarx for everything.

I have been using this solution for two years.

Its stability is okay.

We don't directly deal with the Checkmarx technical team. There is a support group available for that, and they work with the Checkmarx team. When we have any issues, we directly call our internal team, and they call the Checkmarx team. They get back to us pretty quickly. The response is very quick. There is no problem.

The initial setup was easy. Our project was quite big, and it took a bit longer. It took almost six hours. We could not do it as CI/CD pipeline because the pipeline expects a response in a short span of time, which was a challenge for us. We are now doing the Checkmarx review manually. We first run the code analysis, and, after the code analysis is over, we go for the pipeline. This is an overhead for us.

It would be helpful if they can improve the speed of the analysis rate. We also need to find out from our side if there is a way to increase the wait time of the CI/CD pipeline and modify the timeout limit. It would then take 30 minutes to one hour rather than five or six hours. We should be able to adjust the timeout time, change the CI/CD settings, and go ahead with the integrated process. Currently, we cannot have an integrated system, and we also have to move from one script to the next script manually.

What other advice do I have?

Even though we run it manually, it captures most of the things. We decided to go with Checkmarx two years ago, and we are continuing with it.

I would rate Checkmarx a seven out of ten. There are a few things that can be improved in this solution.

More Checkmarx reviews from users
...who work at a Computer Software Company
...who compared it with HCL AppScan
Learn what your peers think about Checkmarx. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
510,204 professionals have used our research since 2012.