Cherwell Service Management Review

The Business Process feature allows us to customize an escalation process for different products with their own sets of rules, but mobile access and the UI need improvement.

What is most valuable?

The best feature is the ability to create functional dashboards, where the IT manager can interact with its data trough the dashboard using the drill down feature. Another relevant aspect, is the integrations that are very simple to do due to the open architecture of the system.

How has it helped my organization?

We provide a service to a large truck manufacturer, and they wanted to implement a customer service team that had an automated escalation process. Since they had a lot of different products, and each product had its own business rules to escalate, that was possible because of the Business Process feature that Cherwell has. It allows you to define, based on several criteria, such as incident classification, specific item in the service catalog, and the end-user, which way the escalation process goes.

What needs improvement?

They need to improve their mobile interface, as well as features regarding the extension of the mobile access to the end user. They also need to improve some aspects of their User interface to have an more modern look.

We have been using Cherwell for about two years now.

No, that’s actually a very key point: it never stops.

Not yet. The only aspect is that the infrastructure must be well designed, especially the database.

8/10.

8/10.

We used another ITSM solution that was ITIL framed, and did not have the ability to adapt to business process rules. So we switched, as Cherwell has the capability to create, and operate, any process besides the basic ITSM-ITIL framework.

The technical part of the implementation is very straightforward, the process definition is where it take more time, but this part is the same for all systems.

We did it in-house.

I think that’s always something harder to measure, but I would say that we were able to gain some clients due to the change to Cherwell.

They have a concurrent-user license model which is very interesting for larger organizations. I think that their price is quite fair for what they offer.

• CA Nimsoft Service Desk
  • CA Service Desk Manager

What other advice do I have?

It is important to design your processes, and define the business rules that 80% of the work will rely on.