Cisco ACI Review

Has a straightforward migration of all applications and their support is top-notch

What is our primary use case?

We started working with a customer which is in the Netherlands. They are really important for us. They started migrating the building of their CRM to ACI. We started with 2.0. We just upgraded the fabric to 3.2. In the next three months, we are aiming to migrate and upgrade the fabric plan to 4.0

How has it helped my organization?

Our customer has around 1,000 virtual machines and before, they were all 100 physical servers which, on our side, were obviously consuming energy and resources. Now everything is on the customer and so it's up to them to manage the size of the virtual machines.

What is most valuable?

The straightforward migration of all of the applications and loop balancing are the two most valuable features. Also, the measurement of their customer-wide sources is very straightforward. It's another dimension of the networks.

What needs improvement?

The virtualization area needs improvement but I expect that to happen with the 4.0 version.

I would like for them to develop integration with AWS.

Scalability is pretty good.

Their technical support is top notch.

We had reached the capacity in the data center. We could build a new data center or buy a new solution so we migrated to a new solution to save space.

The setup was complex because we have a complex internet architecture. It wasn't because of the product. It was complex because of internal issues on our side.

We had Cisco support but everything was done internally.

We only looked at Cisco because we have all of our routing and switching infrastructure with Cisco.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it an eight out of ten. There's room for improvement in the software version. To get to a ten, they should improve the virtualization and develop integration with AWS.

For companies starting from scratch, ACI is the best solution in terms of the space needed and time to delivery.