Cisco ASA Firewall Review

The FirePower IPS, AMP and URL filtering add value to the firewall.

What is most valuable?

Cisco ASA has a well-written command-line interface. Cisco’s AnyConnect SSL VPN is by far the best client VPN technology I’ve ever had to deploy and manage. Upgrades are a breeze. Failovers between units are flawless. FirePower add-ons deepen security with intrusion prevention (IPS), anti-malware protection (AMP), and URL filtering. These particular services can run as a hardware or software module within the ASA. Unlike ASA with CSM, these modules are managed by FireSight, a single pane for all of your FirePower nodes. It’s intuitive and easy to use, but still lacks some automation capabilities (e.g., bulk edits, etc.).

How has it helped my organization?

Cisco is a huge name in the networking world. Having a solution that includes their firewall technology adds value from an operability and support perspective. Cisco, although sometimes considered to be "behind the times" with firewall technology, continues to prove it has momentum in the industry through acquisitions such as Sourcefire and OpenDNS, with rapid integration into their systems. Additionally, ASA is synergistic with other security offerings from Cisco, such as ISE, remote tele-office workers, etc.

What needs improvement?

When running multiple firewalls in your network, you need someone to manage them from a central point. Cisco’s answer is Cisco Security Manager (CSM). Unfortunately, this is a suite of applications that is in much need of an overhaul. It is riddled with bugs and lacks the intuitive experience found in competing vendor offerings. The counter-intuitive interface makes configuration management cumbersome and prone to mistakes. There are software defects within certain modules of the application, resulting in a frustrating experience. Reporting is almost useless. The best part about it is the logging component, but it still is lacking, compared to what you get from other competing vendors.

Aside from management, I think Cisco needs to become more application-focused, something that a few of their competitors shine in.

I've deployed and managed Cisco ASA's for over a decade. I've used the X-series models for about three years now.

I have not encountered any stability issues; this is a solid firewall platform. Stability is where it shines.

The newer clustering capabilities have introduced some solid scalability design options. From a cost perspective, scalability is quite intimidating.

Cisco's TAC engineers are competent, responsive and typically resolve issues in a timely fashion. Do not use them for "best practice"; this is what channel partners are for.

I previously used Check Point. Check Point relied on a thick, Windows-based client and, at the time, did not support transparent contexts. However, Check Point has a solid management platform, which is something Cisco should take some pointers from.

Initial setup is complex for a new user, straightforward for a seasoned user. Tons of documentation is available, but you can easily get lost for days if you've never touched one. Cisco offers ASDM, a GUI wizard that can help set up the firewalls. This is nice for newer folks.

Work very closely with your channel partners to verify you have all the licensing you need (VPN, Firepower, etc.). Pricing is always a challenge. Buy closer to Cisco's EOY and you might save a few bucks.

Before choosing this product, I also evaluated Palo Alto. I really liked their firewall platform, their Panorama management platform, and wildfire technology. Their SSL VPN was seriously lacking. This is a decent option to consider as well.

What other advice do I have?

Read the Cisco Validated Designs (CVDs) regarding ASAs. Find some decent blogs, discuss topologies and scenarios with a seasoned engineer, and get your final design validated by Cisco. Your Cisco SE should be able to assist with this. If you need assistance implementing, work with your channel partner.

More Cisco ASA Firewall reviews from users
...who compared it with Fortinet FortiGate
5 Comments

author avatarit_user242442 (User)

The management platform is a major draw back. Without a third party reporting platform you will find no inbuilt reporting features and likely to fly blind. I agree this is the major weakness with Cisco ASA if one were to compare with Checkpoint....

author avatarit_user68991 (Manager of Engineering with 1,001-5,000 employees)
Top ReviewerVendor

The only thing I miss about Checkpoint is their SmartDashboard. That thing is amazing, and Cisco could really learn a thing or two from it.

author avatarit_user456723 (Managing Director with 11-50 employees)

Imho the ASA is a solid product offering which is very well supported through both formal and informal channels. Thats the thing about most Cisco products, you can always get help on a problem due Cisco's sheer market size.

I also like the adsm and in particular the packet tracer for troubleshooting.

What could be improved though is the consistency in the CLI between the ASA and the ISR routers. Sometimes it feels like two different teams worked on the CLI....not a big problem, just something which could be improved.

author avatarHamza_Farhan (A10 Networks)

I don’t have a solid experience with Cisco ASA and Checkpoint. The only experience with checkpoint was during my CCSA course.

-The architecture of CP is the same as Imperva where you have management server and gateway.

-The management server is very strong product with countless capabilities such as reporting tools which Cisco don’t have or lacking these capacities.

-Troubleshooting CP is not an easy job and you need to have a solid experience with Linux commands.

-I know from pricing prospective going with Cisco you can save some money.

author avatarit_user68991 (Manager of Engineering with 1,001-5,000 employees)
Top ReviewerVendor

Brian, this is one reason I continue to use ASA. Cisco makes a solid, stable and consistent firewall platform. It withstands time and continues to be a widely deployed firewall in the industry.

ASDM is great for a single firewall management, but once you want to manage multiple firewalls at once, you're limited in your offerings from Cisco. I'm hopeful for the future with their plans for FXOS, consolidating these seemingly disparate services (ASA, IPS, VPN) into a single platform.

ASA and IOS teams are definitely separate within Cisco. I don't think these CLIs will ever merge, but we can dream.