Cisco ASA NGFW Review

There are some stability issues due to software bugs, but in the long run the devices are very stable.

Valuable Features

VPN - Both site to site (IPsec) and remote access (IPsec and SSL).

Improvements to My Organization

Through the use of VPNs, we were able to connect our branches together through the internet without the any additional cost.

Room for Improvement

• Throughput
  • Price

Use of Solution

Since 2008, so seven years, and I have been a heavy/daily user, and all of my jobs were related to network security.

No issues encountered.

Sometimes, due to software bugs, but in the long run the ASA is a very stable product when compared to other vendors firewall solutions.

One of the major disadvantages with the ASAs is the throughput, while the network evolves, the ASA was usually causing the bottle neck.

It's very good when compared to other vendors.

It's very good when compared to other vendors.

Mainly switching from the old Cisco PIX to a new Cisco ASA. The reason for switching is to get a higher throughput, and due to the fact the that the Cisco PIX went EoL.

It requires training, but after that it is straight forward.

Implementation Team

I work for a vendor, and we implement the solution for multiple customers.

Other Solutions Considered

Yes, and we chose Cisco ASA mainly due to the fact that they have a very good, reliable and very responsive technical customer support.

Other Advice

I have worked on the best firewalls in the market, and Cisco ASA is one of the best.

The below screenshots are taken from a demo of ASDM.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Golden Cisco Partner