Cisco ASA NGFW Review

The solution has worked very well for us, but the configuration/management interface is complex.

What is most valuable?

• Firewall mode
  • AnyConnect gateway
  • Client-less SSL VPN

How has it helped my organization?

The versatility of the product has allowed us to solve a number of perimeter requirements without having to seek out different products or companies for solutions. It has allowed for a single management mechanism, and by having a single platform solution, it has allowed for simpler training.

What needs improvement?

The configuration/management interface is complex and can be confusing. Technical documentation is often sparse and can be incomplete when covering specific implementations.

I've used Cisco PIX and ASA firewalls since 2003.

Not with the ASAs, with some early version PIX products.

Not with the ASAs, with some early version PIX products.

The ASAs offer several different technologies for HA and we have used all of them successfully.

It's excellent.

Excellent, we have always been able to get the specific expertise needed to solve our challenges with the products.

Checkpoint Firewalls - the primary reason we switched was cost and limited support options.

It's pretty straightforward. I came at these products already having considerable firewall experience.

It was all in-house, as we all had 10 years plus experience when we moved to PIX firewalls and then a few years later we brought in the ASAs.

• Watchguard
  • Sonicwall
  • Checkpoint

What other advice do I have?

The product line offers tremendous capability. Please look into all of the solutions it can provide for you to maximize your investment.