Cisco ASA NGFW Review

The packet tracer function provides a packet flow through the firewall and shows which rule or policy can cause a drop.

Valuable Features:

Cisco ASA's CLI is very effective and fast to configure the firewall and make changes, but monitoring logs and connections can be eye bothering by reading all the line outputs. ASDM, however, have improved the overall ASA configuration from an GUI standpoint. I really enjoy the log monitor where I can see live logs in a more user friendly interface. The down side of ASDM is that it is build with JAVA and that means a lot vulnerabilities and it does not always work with the latest JAVA version and/or patches.

Improvements to My Organization:

The packet tracer function, which I use the most, have provided me a packet flow through the firewall and see which rule or policy can cause a drop. Also, I can see if my NAT statement is working properly. This has allowed me to quickly troubleshoot potential firewall related issues for my organization.

Room for Improvement:

L7 firewall is a key for the ASA to be competitive in the current and future market place. By integrating with SourceFire, now call FirePower, on the ASA has helped it to get into the next-generation firewall segment.

Free Trial

Start your two week free trial.