Cisco ASA NGFW Review

IPS features can be accessed from a separate interface

What is most valuable?

I enjoy the interface of Cisco products, especially the CLI version. I think the IPS feature in the product is best compared to products of other vendors. All the IPS features can be accessed from a separate interface, e.g., Cisco IDM.

How has it helped my organization?

We are an educational institute, and we are required to block many websites that are not suitable for students and teachers. Most of the sites, like YouTube uses an https version, thus blocking with IP address was becoming problematic. Moreover, certificate domains for Gmail and YouTube are the same. But the IPS feature in this product helps us to overcome this limitation.

What needs improvement?

Pricing of this product needs improvement.

I have used this solution for two years.

I did not encounter any issues with stability.

I did not encounter any issues with scalability.

I would give technical support a rating of a nine out of 10.

I worked with Cyberoam and Fortinet UTM at my previous job. When I joined my present company, they were already using the Cisco ASA solution. But my present company may switch to other vendors, especially Fortinet, because of the license renewal price.

As I enjoy working on CLI, I would say that the initial setup was not complex.

License and appliance costs are more expensive as compared to other vendors on the market.

What other advice do I have?

If your company is small or mid-range, it is better to go with other vendors, because of the pricing.

Free Trial

Start your two week free trial.