Cisco ASA NGFW Review

It is a strong solution.

What is our primary use case?

It is primarily used as a firewall. I think that all firewalls basically work the same, but some have different configurations of the switches. Cisco ASA is very strong.

What needs improvement?

I think that there should be better security of other firewall appliances. Migration is another main issue. If you migrate from the ASA to the new Fire Power Threat Defense appliance, it is not an easy migration. You have to do some of the migration manually, and if you are relacing those firewalls it will take a long time. It should be a smoother migration process. Some of the new engineers are still not familiar with it, and I think that Cisco should rehire some of the engineers coming from Sourcefire to do so.

There is not much to say about the stability of the product. Migration is the painful aspect of the solution.

During the mitigation process, I used tech support. But, I still have not had a completely clean migration process.

I do not like to have too many vendors it becomes difficult to diagnose and deal with. If all the switches also ran the same, I would be OK. But, this does not usually happen. Often there are many configurations of switches and we end up switching on the switches.

Cisco has recently become very expensive. Other solutions on the market are cheaper than this solution.

We have also evaluated Fortinet and Sophos UTM as possible solutions.

Free Trial

Start your two week free trial.