Cisco ASA NGFW Review

Efficient at improving client operations and has excellent stability

What is our primary use case?

We use Cisco ASA with Firepower. Currently, we have been implementing the solution for around four years. Our company has been around for a long time, more than ten years. We cover the solutions for Network Direct Turbo ATM at the moment, it's a lot of the security work.

How has it helped my organization?

Cisco ASA is best at the technical part of the business, related to our selling and management services. We have to improve the technical functionality of the product as part of making an efficient service for the customer. We need to improve the customer's technical experience with Cisco ASA & Firepower.

What is most valuable?

There are two main ways that using Cisco ASA & Firepower has improved our organization:

1. Technical features
  2. Our Sales team

What needs improvement?

With Cisco ASA, we used the SMB of the model. The customers are usually satisfied, but I am going to recommend that all clients upgrade to Firepower management.

For Cisco ASA Firepower, I want Cisco to improve the feature called anti-spam. We use a Cisco only email solution, that's why we need the anti-spam on email facility.

Three to five years.

The stability of Cisco ASA is excellent compared to other products on the market. The performance is good. Compared to Fortinet on the watchband firewall, it is indispensable. Because of our customer experience as an integration company, our clients never report any performance problems. We have good performance from Cisco ASA.

ASA is limited in terms of its scalability because of our customer environments. They are in the banking and microfinance sector. Our clients always want to move to the next generation firewall so they like FirePOWER. When we move clients to Firepower, they need to integrate with Sourcefire and move into more complicated management.

We have the staff perform the migrations to Firepower. We redirected traffic with Sourcefire and also require the use of FMC by our management center with Firepower.

I've been exploring the technical support for Cisco ASA. I haven't had any problems with it.

The initial setup is straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

I always encourage our existing customers to move to the Cisco ASA Firepower version, i.e. the next generation Firepower like 2100, 4000, or 9300.

I would rate Cisco ASA an eight out of ten. An eight and not a ten because some of the features are limited and some are awful. We had to install other solutions for security and had to spend a lot on other hardware. Other vendors like Fortinet or Palo Alto Networks focus more on offering complete solutions.