Cisco ASA NGFW Review

Valuable Firewall Capabilities Recommended for Filtering and Intrusion Prevention

What is our primary use case?

We are using the Cisco ASA NGFW as a next-generation firewall. We are using the 5516-X version. Our primary use case of this is as an X firewall for external connections.

How has it helped my organization?

Cisco ASA NGFW significantly improves our bank. It protects any high-value products that we use from hackers, viruses, malware, and script-bots. It gives us metrics on network traffic as well as what kind of attacks we are getting from the outside.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the firewall capabilities, filtering, and intrusion prevention.

I respect the capability of the Cisco firewall. We fully use it all as a complete firewall solution. Cisco also has excellent anti-malware detection and other similar features.

What needs improvement?

Cisco should improve its user interface design. There is a deep learning curve to the product if you are a newcomer.

More than five years.

Stability is excellent.

It can easily scale. If you want, you can scale it to a lot of traffic. It's an X file, so all of our users are going through it.

We only require one administrator for the solution. For deployment and maintenance, it depends on how many developers you have. We require two dedicated staff at a minimum.

Naturally, we employ both security technicians and administrators. Cisco ASA NGFW is being used at all our branches, and we'll continue using it in the future.

The technical support from Cisco is excellent.

We have only been using Cisco solutions.

The initial setup of the Cisco ASA NGFW is not easy, but at the same time also it is not complex. It's somewhere in the middle. It took about 4 weeks, then it was activated.

We used a reseller consultant for the deployment.

Our licensing costs for this solution is on a yearly basis. Just for the firewall, it's about $1.5 million USD.

We evaluated Palo Alto Networks, Fortinet FortiGate, and Checkpoint products.

What other advice do I have?

For the Cisco ASA NGFW, it is a bit more expensive than other products, but their method is a lot more stable in my experience. It has all the features that you would need in a next-generation firewall. They are always developing new features and introducing them.

I don't have anything that I'm currently missing with Cisco. On a scale from one to ten, I would rate the product at eight.

Free Trial

Start your two week free trial.