Cisco ASA NGFW Review

A flexible and easy to manage solution for segregating our servers from the rest of the environment

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution as a firewall and for the segregation of our servers from the rest of the environment.

How has it helped my organization?

Instead of using multiple firewalls, we only need to rely on this solution. It has a small footprint.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the flexibility and level of security that this solution provides.

What needs improvement?

There was an error in the configuration, related to our uplink switches, that caused us to contact technical support, and it took a very long time to resolve the issue.

Some of the features should be baked-in by default.

Stability has been pretty good, so far.

This solution is very scalable.

We have contacted technical support about an issue that we were having, and it took a very long time for them to figure it out. We were on the phone for six or seven hours with them.

We previously used an ASA 5500, and it was simply time to upgrade it. We used this solution as a direct replacement.

The initial setup of this solution is pretty straightforward.

We are not restricted to any one vendor, but this solution worked well as a direct replacement for our previous one. We considered both Juniper and FortiGate.

What other advice do I have?

This is a very straightforward firewall. There is a management platform with its own operating system. Just make sure that everything is set up properly for your uplink switches because that is an issue that we ran into.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.