Cisco

Cisco ASA Review
It gives us the ability to do Lan-to-Lan VPN, but it needs support for automation tools, such as Puppet.

Valuable Features:

It gives us the ability to do lan-to-lan VPN.

Improvements to My Organization:

So far it has proven to be rock solid and relatively easy to maintain.

Room for Improvement:

• Support for automation tools (Puppet)
  • More granular logging

Use of Solution:

I've used ASA for four years.

Deployment Issues:

Stability Issues:

Scalability Issues:

8/10

8/10

Previous Solutions:

We moved our VPN termination from a Cisco ASR to an ASA. We switched because the ASR was not scalable and we realized it was a bad idea to use the same device for routing and VPN termination.

Initial Setup:

The most complex part was figuring out the failover and what NAT mode to implement.

Implementation Team:

We did it in-house.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

Licenses and prices are pretty high. I understand the validity of the product, so I can't complain much.

Other Solutions Considered:

No options were evaluated. We heavily rely on Cisco hardware for our infrastructure

Other Advice:

I'd say it would be very beneficial to posses certification such as CCNP Security, at least, to get the most out of it. It's a complex product which requires good knowledge of procedures and best practices. Being a CCIE R&S I know the value of those certifications, and I wish I had a CCNP Security to better handle the task.

1 visitor found this review helpful
Anonymous avatar x30

0 Comments

Anonymous avatar x30

Have A Question About Cisco ASA?

Our experts can help. 228,876 professionals have used our research on 5,836 solutions.