Cisco ASA Review
It is supported on many platforms and helps us gain access to the network.

What is most valuable?

There are a lot of features which are good and can be implemented, especially in the latest IOS version of the product.

They saved me a lot of time thinking how to solve different scenarios with other solutions.

Cisco AnyConnect for remote access is one of them. It is supported on most of the platforms, which business users use. They can gain access to the network, via functions like PBR, Security groups, contexts, and DNS doctoring. This gives a lot of flexibility to the product.

How has it helped my organization?

It gave us a more secure environment and a lot of flexibility to the business.

What needs improvement?

The next generations part of these products need a better approach. A lot of vendors are definitely a step or two in front of them.

I have worked with these types of firewalls for more than 10 years.

I can say that this product is one of the most stable products I have ever worked with.

In terms of scalability, this always depends on how the product was chosen and what purpose it will work for. I haven't experienced any issues with the scalability of the product.

In terms of technical support, it depends on the different cases. I would surely give Cisco technical support a rating of 9/10.

I used to work with open source solutions, but the support and complication behind them was definitely not OK. If you want to have flexibility and stability, you have to move on to something that receives more development in that specific area.

The initial setup was straightforward and there was a lot of documentation that can help out with specific cases.

This is definitely not a cheap solution, but I think it is worth the investment.

We evaluated other solutions like Juniper, but we chose Cisco, since our network was becoming more and more Cisco oriented.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend that you understand the needs of the business case before choosing the product and start implementing it. It is very important to choose the right licenses from the beginning.