Cisco ASAv Review

Powerful firewall that is easy to manage and easy to configure

What is our primary use case?

We need a good and generic firewall which is why I bought Cisco ASAv. I also needed a secure VPN. The real reason I bought it though, was for the firewall.

What is most valuable?

The firewall power that comes with Cisco ASAv is the most valuable asset. They are very easy to manage and configure.

What needs improvement?

There definitely is room for improvement. We found it difficult to publish an antenna plug with the ASDM. Cisco should make the interface for the firewall more simple.

My company has been using Cisco ASAv for three years now.

This product is very stable. Before installing Cisco ASAv, I had two or three viruses in my network. Since installing ASA, I have not had any problems with viruses. There is a huge difference with and without ASA.

I am satisfied with the customer service because the assistance I got from the Cisco engineer was very good.

I used a different solution before. I used Meraki and it was a little simpler to use. However, currently, I only have Cisco routers.

The initial setup for Cisco ASAv was fairly simple. It wasn't very complicated, it would be okay for an intermediate professional. It can be made easier. I believe almost anybody could set up an ASA in a few hours. It took about two to three weeks for the platform to work properly.

The installation wasn't complicated at all and I got help from a Cisco engineer.

I bought a license for three years and it was really affordable.

I did consider other options as I have experience with Meraki and other devices. Meraki is simpler to use, but I decided on Cisco ASAv.

What other advice do I have?

I am really satisfied with the product and I rate this an 8.5 out of ten. The reason why I wouldn't rate it a ten, is because I find it a little more complicated to set up a firewall for publishing than when using Meraki. I therefore believe there is room for improvement.