Cisco ASAv Review

The end-user VPN with ASA allows us to connect the firewall to edge servers for security

What is our primary use case?

We are using both Cisco ASAv and FTD (Firepower Threat Defense). FTD has a better interface, but we have both of them running.

We are using Cisco ASAv for the FirePower service. We use a custom interface for our firewall.

How has it helped my organization?

Cisco ASAv is part of our central solution. You can use the ASA family or go on the portal for normal ASAv. We use FirePower at the edge of the network.

If you are working with cloud services, it's better to use the ASAv family or other Cisco solutions.

What is most valuable?

We are using the Cisco AnyConnect for our end-user VPN with the ASA.

If a user wants to connect to our network, they access it via the Cisco intranet and connect to the firewall at the edge.

What needs improvement?

I don't have any experience with the price, but ASA is a comprehensive solution.

In the next update of the Cisco ASAv, I would like to see them release a patch for ASAv, i.e. to put the FirePower solution into the cross-platform integration.

We are using the Cisco ASAv security solution in our company for three or four years.

Normally, in ASA, we have good stability.

The scalability of ASAv we can easily manage. We can have good scalability in different times but we don't have HA in ASAv. Some features are removed in ASAv.

If it's a normal ASA, i.e. a physical device, you have many more ways to scalability.

For technical support, I have little experience with Cisco, unless they patch some issues. I raised a ticket and got the response immediately. They are very supportive.

For me, ASA is easy. The deployment of ASAv is done in 20 minutes.

We used both an integrator and reseller for the deployment. For the initialization, it was me for our company. If we have an issue, we can raise a ticket or call for a Cisco patch.

For the Cisco ASAv installation, I did it myself.

The pricing for Cisco ASAv depends on your license. With AnyConnect, it depends on your license. It depends on the number of concurrent users you want to connect.

Our license is for one year only, renewable at variable pricing.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate this product at nine. Cisco ASAv is good in many advanced networking features.

I'm working with Cisco. They have competition with many vendors.