Cisco ASAv Review

Simplified VPN Interconnection, easy to manage, and scales well for SMB

What is most valuable?

The feature I find most valuable is the Cisco VPN Interconnection.

The file features are useful as well. They're good at packet tracing. They are very straightforward. I would say that the Cisco ASA ASDM makes it very easy to manage the firewall.

What needs improvement?

I would say the pricing could be improved. It's quite expensive, especially for the economy.

I'd like to see them more integration so that I don't need other parties for protecting my network. If I could just have ASA firewalls for perimeter protection and LAN protection, then I'm good. I don't need so many devices.

I would like to see improvements for client protection.

I've been using the solution for four years.

My impression is it's a stable solution. I could sound biased, but if you have a device working for four years and it's still working and people are using it, then it's stable.

Scalability depends on which device you have.

It's quite scalable if you have either the ASA, even if you had the new ASA firewall services, even if you had the one with the capacity of about 500 MDP. It isn't scalable for three hundred people connecting to it. I would say it is good for medium branch offices.

I'm not sure if we have plans to extend the service.

Technical support is good. The only thing is that Cisco cannot support you unless you have a contract with them. You have to go through the reseller in Africa. I don't see why Cisco cannot communicate directly with the customer, especially when I can prove that I have the device. They should allow customers to talk to them directly instead of having to go through the reseller.

I previously used SonicWall. I'm not the one who decided to switch, I just know that previously we used SonicWall.

The initial setup was straightforward. Within in an hour you're done, including with your basic training. For implementation, you need one to two people. You should have one senior network administrator. Two people can maintain it if they have the skill.

I did the implementation by myself. If you decide to do it by yourself, you need basic knowledge. If you don't have that you would need a contractor.

This solution might be expensive, but it is economical in the long run.

What other advice do I have?

The functionality is fine.

When they prove to me they cannot be hacked then I can give them a ten.

I would rate this solution as eight out of ten.