Cisco ASAv Review

Good for building a solid security solution for a company

What is most valuable?

We haven't deployed all the possible services from Cisco yet, but I started to research more of the ones that are available and I think Firepower will end up being the best, most valuable solution for us.

What needs improvement?

I think the visibility of the network can be improved, at least from our current setup. I do not know everything about the solution and exactly how it can be modified.

Another way they can improve is their pricing. One thing I notice is about the price is that it would be good if they could adapt the price to the area where a company is. West Africa is not the same as in India or in the USA and it is much more difficult to afford. If Cisco can manage this for our people it would help us implement better solutions.

To upgrade to some Cisco solutions or features you have to invest resources to create the solution or pay the difference for that functionality to upgrade services or license. It is not really an all-in-one solution. So if Cisco could manage to build an all-in-one solution with most or all of the features we would be looking for in one solution, it would be better for us.

For example, if you want faithful service from the company and equipment, you have to pay more just to get the solutions. If it's included it would be easier for us to deploy.

I've been using the solution with my newest employer for over three years.

For me it is stable. It is amongst the best products in that way.

It is a scalable solution. It may cost money and resources to scale.

I have not had direct experience with technical support for the firewall. I contacted support for the switching. For the firewall, I have not had to contact them at all.

Before I used Fortinet FortiGate. But when I moved from the previous company to this company they had a different solution. That is why I switched.

The initial setup was a little complex for me because I had been using a different solution. But how complex something is will depend on the mind of that person. For me, it was a little complex for me. However, it really only took one day to set it up.

Step by step, when I work with the product for a longer period of time and gain experience, it will be very easy for me.

I did the implementation by myself.

What other advice do I have?

If people want to build a solid security solution for their company, I think this solution is the best but it would depend on the configuration of your company. For a good company to have a good solution for security, you can choose the Cisco firewall for that and be confident.

I think I can give that product an eight out of ten. It comes down to the user interface. It needs to be easier so that more people can quickly develop the skills to manage the product. It would be better for us right now for more people to have certification or to just develop the skills to use the product. But if Cisco made it easier and took away the need for certification, it would be easier for us to use company-wide and have more people involved.