Cisco ASAv Review

A stable solution with good monitoring and VPN capabilities

What is most valuable?

The VPN and monitoring are the most valuable features.

What needs improvement?

I tried to buy licenses, but I had trouble. Their licensing is too expensive.

If they can get the reporting to go into deeper detail, it would really be helpful because in order to get the reports in Cisco you have to go to look at the information that you don't necessarily need.

Also, the pricing is quite high.

I've been using the solution for six years.

The stability is good. Very simple. Upgrades are great. But when we upgrade it, things break. You have to upgrade about three things before you get something stable.

I haven't had to scale, so I can't speak to this aspect of the solution.

I haven't had to deal with technical support, so I don't have much to say.

We didn't previously use a different solution.

The initial setup was straightforward.

I did the setup myself. The budget I had didn't allow me to get support. I would use Google a lot. The first implementation took me about three weeks because I did not know what I was doing. So it took me a while. It took me about three weeks, but everything else took about two days, maybe three days and I was done.

We did look at Barracuda.

What other advice do I have?

They really need support for deployment.

I would rate this solution nine out of 10 because I think if you have the budget and you plan it properly I think you won't have the initial deployment problems I faced.