Cisco ASx500 Review

Provides a good VPN that is stable and easy to scale

What is our primary use case?

This solution is being used for our site-to-site VPN and as our perimeter firewall.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the AnyConnect VPN. It works well for any environment that wants to use a VPN.

What needs improvement?

There is no security, such as an antivirus and URL filtering mechanism, which is something that should be improved. It is running on a Windows 7 operating system in a box, without any security features. It's not really a server firewall.

We have been using this Cisco appliance since 2007.

This solution is quite stable.

It is very scalable and used in an enterprise environment. Scaling is easy.

There are about 22,000 people using the VPN.

The Cisco technical support is okay.

To this point, we have always used Cisco. However, we are in the process of moving away from Cisco products.

Palo Alto and Check Point are easier to deploy but Cisco is more scalable.

Compared to other firewalls, the initial setup is a bit complex. I've done it many times so I find it okay but when I speak to people who have never done it before, they find it to be more complex.

The length of time for deployment depends on the environment.

I take care of the deployment myself. Deployment and maintenance only requires one person.

This product is not too expensive and there are no costs apart from the standard licensing fee. The is no additional cost for support.

What other advice do I have?

All of the features work very well, although I would suggest using a product like Palo Alto for the firewall because they have the GlobalProtect security feature. Cisco is still good for the AnyConnect VPN.

Overall, it does exactly what we want it to do, considering the specific features that we want. It works well for AnyConnect and site-to-site VPN connections, but if you are using it for a traditional firewall then it is not a great product for you.

Find out what your peers are saying about Cisco ASx500 vs. SonicWall SMA and other solutions. Updated: September 2021.
535,015 professionals have used our research since 2012.