Cisco Catalyst Switches Review
Small switch with a lot of features - good for enterprises and small businesses

Valuable Features:

1. Cisco 2960 catalysts switch has lots of security features (Port Security, block DHCP snooping, VLAN).
2. I can create a stack with multiple Cisco 2960 switch which improve availability
3. I can create a port channel by merging multiple port of multiple switches which help me transfer large amounts of data traffic between serveres and it also increases reliability if one switch port becomes damaged.
4. It provides PoE (Power over Ethernet) which helps me easily setup Cisco wireless AP and IP phones at any office location.
5. RSPAN (Remote Switch Port Analyzer) enables me to monitor network traffic flow with of NMS software.
6. VTP (VLAN Trunking Protocol) helps me to transfer VLAN configuration from one switch to multiple switches.

Room for Improvement:

1. It does not provide any expansion slots so I cannot increase the number of ports.
2. If most of the switch ports get damaged than you have to replace the whole switch.

Other Advice:

It is a nice product for enterprises and small businesses. It is a small switch with a lot of features.

1 Comment

it_user1068VendorLEADERBOARD

We make use of Brocade's BigIron and IBM's Rackswitch in our data center. I would say they are the best; maybe because they are the ones I have experience using. How would you rate Catalyst in comparison two these two products: Rackswitch and BigIron?

26 May 13