Cisco Catalyst Switches Review

Good scalability with very nice stability and good flexibility

What is our primary use case?

We have clients that have application servers and we offer our services to them. The switches are provided alongside Cisco Firewall and they also integrate into Cisco storage.

What is most valuable?

The product is easy to use. It's very user friendly and simple to navigate.

The solution offers very good stability.

We've found the product to be quite flexible.

It integrates well with other solutions, including other Cisco solutions especially.

We've found the technical support to be quite helpful.

The scalability is excellent.

What needs improvement?

The implementation of the solution is a little bit difficult. It would be nicer if the process was a bit easier.

The configuration process is hard.

The pricing of the solution is quite high.

I started working with the solution a few months ago. It hasn't been too long just yet. I'm still relatively new to the product. I'd say that it has been almost six months or so.

The product offers very good stability. It's reliable. We haven't had issues with bugs. It's not glitchy. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's been very good overall.

The solution is quite scalable. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so. It's not a problem at all.

Technical support is excellent. It's much better than other solutions. They're very helpful and responsive. They're very good at helping if we run into issues with implementations. We've more than satisfied with the level of support we receive from them.

That said, I have had a bad experience once or twice where we had an issue with an appliance and some licensing. It took Cisco a month to get the license figured out successfully. The issue was that there wasn't enough knowledge about the product and it affected the support.

However, one of the last issues we had, we were assigned a senior level person and she was very good. She sorted everything out and got it deployed in one or two hours.

Therefore, as long as you get a knowledgeable person, you're going to have a very good experience.

While I am aware of our company using different switches in the past, I was not a part of the project. I'm not sure what product they were using.

The Cisco implementation is tough. It's not straightforward per se. However, it's very important for the network level solutions. It's more difficult than Fortinet or other vendors. At the same time, their support for their solution is very effective and in that sense, they are actually much better than other vendors. That's why everyone prefers Cisco. They offer good help if you run into trouble.

In terms of deployment, the product takes about two or three weeks to deploy. If you are adding Fortinet or other solutions, you're looking at a month and a half for a full deployment.

The pricing for Cisco is expensive. However, they offer very good support services.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not sure of the switch model. I work remotely. It would be hard for me to check.

We're a vendor company. We're Cisco partners. We have almost 10 engineers and about two or three people are dedicated to Cisco.

I'd recommend this solution to other users. I would warn companies, however, that the implementation process is tough. It's good to have some sort of support in order to deploy the solution effectively and correctly. Without help, if you don't know what you are doing, you may run into issues.

In general, I would rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

3850
More Cisco Catalyst Switches reviews from users
...who work at a University
...who compared it with HPE ProCurve
Learn what your peers think about Cisco Catalyst Switches. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
512,711 professionals have used our research since 2012.