Cisco Catalyst Switches Review

High level technical support, scalable, and secure

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution as a switch for campus locations.

What is most valuable?

One main feature with Cisco is you know you are going to get a very good switching infrastructure that is secure.

What needs improvement?

In a future upgrade, I would like to see integrated wireless in the solution.

I have been using the solution for approximately 20 years.

The solution is stable.

The scalability of this solution is really good because you can attach switches together. We currently have 5,000 users using the solution and we plan on having approximately 30,000 in the near future.

Cisco provides great customer support.

The solution installation is straightforward to a degree. It is not as smooth as it could be. You cannot do zero-touch provisioning.

It is best to use a technician that understands the configuration file needed for the deployment and then there is some testing that is needed.

There needs to be some improvement with the Cisco DNA licensing activation process, it is difficult at the moment.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. When my customers want security infrastructure on their campus locations this solution is the one I will continue to suggest.

I rate Cisco Catalyst Switches a nine out of ten.

More Cisco Catalyst Switches reviews from users
...who work at a University
...who compared it with HPE ProCurve
Learn what your peers think about Cisco Catalyst Switches. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
534,299 professionals have used our research since 2012.