Cisco Catalyst Switches Review
Streamlines operations and maintenance and reduces end-user downtime

What is our primary use case?

LAN switch for both core and access layers. It has performed very well in this area.

How has it helped my organization?

The ease of deployment and the support are associated with a reduction in end-user downtime as well as in the operations and maintenance efforts required.

What is most valuable?

Among the most valuable features are the support and the ecosystem. There is a lot of documentation and information, and many support resources are available.

What needs improvement?

It would be helpful to have the ability to load new IOS software without performing a reboot, or to be able to perform the reboot without disrupting end-users.

This is a very stable and mature platform with a proven record of reliability.

Catalyst is very a very scalable solution thanks to its Stack mechanism, as well as the modular functionalities of some models.

Cisco TAC support is very reliable and responsive. It has always been considered an industry benchmark among all IT support organizations.

Business requirements were the driver for our switch to Catalyst. We needed an increase in port density and an increase in port speed, among other things.

The most important criterion when selecting a vendor is the quality of the support team for technical issues.

The setup of Catalyst, in general, is straightforward and easily done by following the documentation.

Extreme Networks, Juniper Networks, Dell.

What other advice do I have?

Consider your business requirements and only select the needed functions/features, to avoid over-complex solutions.

I rate Catalyst a nine out of 10 because the product is extremely mature and reliable.